Monday, January 14, 2008

The Countdown Begins/ List #1


Two months from today we will arrive in France! The serious preparations need now begin. Where shall I start? And will you help me???

Let's start off with what I have done already:


  1. Bought airline tickets

  2. Reserved and paid for gite

  3. Told all family and friends of our arrival/departure dates

  4. Freaked out about the flight (hate flying...well I love flying, hate idea of crashing)

  5. Freaked out about the rising Euro and falling Dollar

  6. Repeated 4 and 5 about 200 times.

  7. Plan to repeat 4 and 5 about 200 more times.

  8. Reserved a minivan (9 passenger) for an astronomical amount of moolah.

  9. Cried about number 8

  10. Bought Red Coat

What I need to do:



  1. Keep trying to find cheaper transportation (must have van to accommodate all travelers in party)

  2. Buy more clothes (a great pair of jeans and more nice tops, more shoes. Jean shopping was affreux today. Wahh wahh.)

  3. Buy some shades since my Gucci's purchased in France last trip were stepped on and crushed (par moi), and besides, I think Gucci shades are passé now, non? ;)

  4. Find a way to make the dollar get stronger

  5. Get a great hair cut at the exact right time before trip (nothing new, just a great trim)

  6. J'ai besoin de pratiquer le francais..... :(

  7. More French lessons for Hubby as well

  8. Make a packing list

  9. Make more lists of things that need to get done

This is the first of many lists to be, as I realize how many things I just left out. I am such a procrastinator about packing, I prefer to have a thorough list made out, and start packing the night before we leave.

14 comments:

Jennifer said...

If you can manage #4 of What I Need To Do, we will be eternally grateful!

Cassoulet Cafe said...

Loulou,
I have been trying, crying and complaining :)
It went down a couple weeks ago, and all was looking great, and then BAM! it went back up again.

I don't want to eat rice and beans in France :(....what are good cheap eats right now over there? (Please tell me I can still get good cheese for pas trop)

Cécy said...

Make sure your passport is up to date.
Check the flight regulations.

As far as traveling in France, compare the prices between Mass transportation system and renting a car+gas.

There are a lot of little restaurants where you can have cheaper food. Also just buy bread and cheese and make a sandwich for lunch (all you need is a knife pretty much).
Bring some water bottles that you can refill at the tap (mineral water is always expensive).

I'm glad I left from money on, my French Bank account for the day we go there...

Cassoulet Cafe said...

Salut Cecy,
I forgot to put on the list: Print off Cecy's Toulouse Tips :) You have some GREAT stuff on there that we'll be doing for sure! I am soooo sorry I have taken so long to thank you for all your effort. It is much appreciated!

For the passport, it was about to expire, so I got my new one already. And the picture is much better than 10 years ago, lol!

We are going to be so far out in the country that we'll need a car. When we get into Toulouse, we'll just park at Auchan and ride the metro in. (There are two lines now, which will help).

Anne Corrons said...

Bonne change en France! If you need some advice or help, let me know! La France est formidable!

La Belette Rouge said...

CC/Chantal/Coco Chanel,
Yeah, get to work on strengthening the dollar. Would you? You have been slacking on that. Well, somebodies been slacking. Ah, for the days of the strong dollar and cheap European travel.

What kind of jeans are you looking for? I have been loving the Gap wide legged jeans. Fab!

Love your list. Glad you posted!
;-)

Betty Carlson said...

11. Plan a trip to Rodez.

Ksam said...

I agree with Loulou - if you can manage #4, I will be over the moon!

Cassoulet Cafe said...

Anne,
Merci beaucoup for visiting Cassoulet Cafe :) I will accept any advice you have for me, avec plaisir!

LBR, oh how i long for the exchange rates of 2001. About 7 francs to the dollar, which at the time was about 80 Euro cents. (The Euro was posted everywhere to get everyone ready for the changeover in '02)
I want some jeans that aren't too low waisted, but not too high either. That don't make my butt look flatter and wider than it should (like the Guess jeans i bought today and will return tomorrow)....so um, some miracle jeans will do.
I will check Gap out now, on your recommendation. I used to wear Gap jeans all the time. The last few years I've just been buying mediocre jeans at Ross, never finding the perfect pair.

Betty,
I am going to check into Rodez!!! Thank you! :)

Samantha,
I'll keep trying and trying....

Anonymous said...

I'm too lazy to look for myself, but how long are you going to be gone?

Where did you rent the car? Just curious if you went through renault euro drive or autoeurope. I am considering that for a few months when we go.

Cassoulet Cafe said...

Colleen,
I booked at Alamo via Costco, with my Costco discount. By far the cheapest (still not CHEAP) than any other I've tried (including autoeurope that i've heard so much about, but gasped at their quotes)

Oh, we will be there exactly 4 weeks.

Anonymous said...

I would love to see your itinerary! Unless you have a previous post!

I'm jealous. I need a holiday.

Jennifer said...

cc,
To save money I cook most of the time and eat what is in season. We rarely eat out but if we do, and I'm sure you already know this, lunch is the cheaper option.
Also, fuel prices really vary. Avoid buying on the autoroute if possible. The big supermarché usually have a much better price.
Cheese, especially the really good stuff, can be expensive. However, you're in France so you've got to try it! Buy small pieces because the flavor is usually so intense and fabulous a little goes a long way. :)

Caffienated Cowgirl said...

Good luck with the preps...and if you can change the current situation with the Euro, then more power to you :)